Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 2/7/16

Extra tired this morning.  I've been adding a spoonful of cashew butter as a before bedtime snack, given my doctor's advice regarding glucose-management during sleep.  Apparently protein and healthy fats are the way to go if you can't sleep for being hungry.  But my current level tiredness is probably due to the fact that I'm not getting to bed early enough, so, y'know, only so much to be done.  There is, as of 2017 so far, no replacement for sleep.  Energy drinks, coffee, and such all make impressive noises about their wakefulness potential, but all they're really doing is wiring you so you can't fall asleep.  They don't replace sleep. 

I'm hindered in my efforts to sleep (at night) and relax (during the day) by the sudden rise in noises outside.  This apartment complex had, at least for the previous year, been relatively quiet.  Presumably the apartment manager had something to do with it; she was a control freak in several ways, which extended unhealthily into her home life.  I mainly saw this influence where it came to maintenance orders, when they were never forgotten and got completed in a timely fashion, and so I didn't think much of it, figuring she'd managed to channel that obsessive desire into something non-disruptive for everyone.  But perhaps one of the less non-disruptive facets of that was the noise level, which, since she left, has steadily increased.  Now people seem to think it's okay to shout across the parking lot at whatever hour of the night they're awake. 

I suppose I should be grateful it's generally benign noise, like a thoughtless mother shouting her love for her school-going children, rather than more of the incident a couple weeks back...  That involved 15+ very upset, shouting teenagers-adults, and also a stabbing which was kept very quiet and I only found out about secondhand.  All at about midnight, when we were trying to sleep.  I've never called the police before, but this was an appropriate enough time, so I did.  Turns out I was a lot more patient than someone else in the complex. 

Did I mention Chris and I are hoping to move this year?  The roach problem is apparently gone (YAY), but between the noise, the limited parking, and our space requirements, it's... definitely time to move on.  This is even still winter, which means the kidlets aren't outside that much.  Spring and summer will change that, and if their parents can't even be assed to be quiet, the kids certainly won't try.

Chris has talked about building a soundproof room, or renovating one, when we get a place that is actually "ours."  I do rather hope it will help.  The only soundproofed room I've ever seen in a home was someone's office, and it's because he has work as an audiobook voice.  Which is cool, and made extra cool by the fact that he has a British accent. 

My soundproofed room would just be for sanity-regaining purposes.  I can't imagine the place we get being particularly near tons of children, but it may happen.  And children are squeaky little things.  I think maybe my sound sensitivity is extra bad recently or something, because I don't recall things always being this frustrating /bad. 

The To-Do app is still working out pretty well.  It's missing features I could really use, like the ability to set something for every other week, rather than every week, but I'm making do thus far pretty well.  I'm still not getting everything done that I should be, but that's hardly the app's fault.  It continues to show me what I'm forgetting, after all. 

All in all, I seem to be surviving, but I wouldn't say things aren't challenging.  

1 comment:

  1. My big sister is going to be a realtor soon, are you looking to buy right away?

    ReplyDelete