Tuesday, June 28, 2016

LENS and Life, week of 6/28/16

Two sites this week, because we're playing catch up.  My anxiety is probably still decreasing, but situational factors are making that kind of difficult to notice. 

I feel very anxious about a large number of things, like my wedding, keeping the apartment in order, keeping up with my appointments, trying to cook more, etc...  All of these things are pretty reasonable to be stressed about, I think.  So less internal and more external with some feelings of anxiety over my inability to handle at all gracefully.  Or something. 

After scrutinizing the chiropractor and their unnervingly marketing-savvy practices, I opted to give them their chance at making my life better.  I'm trying not to be too cynical about it.  The first adjustment was promising for about 3 minutes and then my spine started complaining, and proceeded to complain for the next two days.   I was warned that might happen, so I'm not worried about it.  It's basically like having braces on my teeth, only the pain lasts days instead of weeks. 

I just had my second adjustment yesterday, and it's promising to be about the same- my spine will throw a hissy fit for a couple days and then calm down.  Not really my idea of a good time, but like braces, probably useful in the long run. 

The main factor, besides my neck pain, for opting to spend the money on chiropractic care, was not the fancy tests or the truly horrifying grasp on marketing that the staff exhibits, but the x-rays we paid for.  They showed that my neck was trying to uncurve itself.  I thankfully didn't have much, if any, disc loss between the vertebrae, but that would inevitably change as I aged. 

I still feel vaguely sick, but I'm not really sure what it is now.  My nose keeps malfunctioning sporadically, fine one day and stuffy or runny the next.  But the rest of me appears to be more or less working as well as normal.  I'm kind of hoping that maybe it's something fixable by fixing my spinal cord.  That's vastly unlikely, but actually not unheard of according to the chiropractor office I'm attending. 

On the bright side, my knees have stopped hurting while I sleep.  I'd heard that sleeping with a pillow between your knees (when sleeping on your side), or under your knees (when sleeping on your back) was a good idea, so I'd been doing that until recently.  But it seems that at least for this bed, it's actually a bad idea.  The night I stopped using a pillow was the night my knees stopped hurting.  So now I don't have ouchy knees in the daytime or at night, sans overuse.  Definitely an improvement.

Overall I guess I'm settling into this (not-so) new apartment and life, despite the supplements, anxieties of everything, new location (and thus new routes to drive everywhere), and staff change at the apartment office.  I'm trying to add exercise into my weekly calendar now.  I have Wednesdays walking for an hour or two with one friend, and as of this week I'll be adding going to a gym with another friend on Mondays.  That means I either need to beat myself into doing a solo exercise day on Friday (or something) or rope another friend into exercising with me.  Pokemon GO still isn't out, because of course it isn't, but I might be able to rope Chris into playing with me, meaning we'd probably go walking together.  Will have to keep my eyes open for other opportunities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment