Tuesday, April 5, 2016

LENS and Life, week of 4/5

? sites this week, because my appointment is tomorrow.  I feel like this section of the entry would be a lot more exciting if we weren't dealing with a lifelong issue.  I can mostly just say that I don't see any major changes, and it's vastly difficult to track incremental progress without thorough documentation.  Sadly, I am neither organized enough nor obsessive enough to accrue said paperwork.

I am sad.  My trusty tablet is still out of commission, and will be 'til this Saturday or perhaps even Monday.  Apparently the supplier sent the wrong part, so then my two-day repair became a two-week repair with needing to exchange parts.  I miss my library.  And my on-hand Internet.  And my music.  I've fallen way behind on my comics and the news sites I like to follow.  I have to run between kitchen and computer if I don't remember a recipe.  But perhaps most importantly, if I get lost while driving, I'm lost until I stop and ask for directions.  Or more likely, wander in a direction until I recognize something.  That hasn't happened yet, because I'm less than willing to drive somewhere new without my tablet.  But it might, if this keeps up.

Chris has been sweet and let me borrow his phone a couple days last week, which was good because I had to drive a half hour into new territory to check out the Sienna I mentioned last week.  It's possible I could have made it to the correct place without an auto-updating map, but getting back might have been a bit more challenging.  And of course I needed to take the car to a mechanic to get it checked, to say nothing of the hour and a half of sheer boredom in the waiting room.

Seriously, the place was blaring Fox "News," the hot water machine for tea was broken, and the food offered was donut holes.  I may have had several donut holes in an attempt to dull the frustration of listening to Fox "News'" fearmongering.  Thankfully, God smiled upon me, and the other customers left the waiting room.  I was extremely tempted to just turn the dratted TV off, but I figured that might not go over well.  So I turned it to CNN and snuck back to my seat.  CNN still annoyed me, but it didn't blast its news at top volume and it didn't make as many broad, sweeping, blatantly ignorant assumptions.

Which isn't to praise CNN.  I'm sure it made several of those assumptions.  They were just quieter and more subtle and didn't demand my attention, so I was able to ignore them entirely.  Can you tell I'm not a fan of TV news?  I think the only TV news I'd watch, if it was a thing, would be BBC.  And that, only if they would please condense the important US and world news into bullet points.  I can research from bullet points, and bullet points are less likely to be all biased and ugly by virtue of their brevity.

I'm still a bit worn out from this weekend.  There was checking out cars (more on that this Friday) and pestering my parents about cars.  Then on Saturday, which is normally my day to stay in and enjoy quiet time with Chris, we had company, which turned into us being dragged to a marathon D&D game.  I have a pair of friends across the state near Detroit, and they periodically come to visit friends here.  So a couple hours visiting at my apartment, then another...eh, 7 hours of hanging out playing D&D or watching soccer (football to the British and most of the rest of the world).  This friend group is louder than most, so I got worn out pretty fast.   But I didn't feel comfortable leaving quickly, because we were right in the middle of a game.  Go figure.

The next day was more D&D, with a different group.  But again, 7 hours.  Needless to say, I was not rested and refreshed for the coming week yesterday (Monday).  I actually spent most of yesterday with an anxious, buzzy brain.  Didn't really make for getting much done.  But Chris made corn chowder soup, with some help chopping potatoes and vegetables.  It turned out pretty well, and he made a double batch!  Freezing most of it except for two additional portions.  Lunch or dinner today will be tasty tasty soup.  Something to look forward to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment