Tuesday, March 8, 2016

LENS and Life, week of 3/1/16

One site again this week.  Don't rock the boat, I guess?

An update on the whole "sleeping like a normal person" thing.  It's still not happening.  I'd stopped using the timed/sustained release melatonin because it'd stopped helping.  I started it again because I was thrashing around a lot at night and waking myself up. I'd originally tried having it 2 out of 3 days, but that third day I really wasn't sleeping well.  So the doctor told me to try it every night for two weeks.

I only made it one week before I started having unpleasant dreams.  My brain actually went out of its way to invent an entire horror movie from start to just before everyone dies.  Which is impressive, because I don't watch horror movies as a rule.  Apparently weird dreams are a sign that your melatonin dosage is too high (as is feeling drugged in the morning, and a lot of other things).  This is actually a good thing: it means my body said, "Oh, right, /I'm/ supposed to be producing that chemical."  So I'm cutting my tablets in half for now, and ordering a lower dosage today.

Thankfully this has stopped any further full length horror films from occurring.  Also thankfully, these bottles are about the price of a drink and a sandwich at Starbucks. (They're also at least twice as good for you, because sleep is hugely important.)

Chris was sick last week.  Probably a cold.  I got minorly sick, but nothing impressive partially due to my immune system and partially due to these little lozenge things my doctor recommended.  They're elderberry and zinc, and they're basically a pick-me-up for your immune system.  You take them every 3 hours as soon as you start feeling symptoms, and they're been shown to reduce the amount of time you're sick, and the severity of your symptoms.  So far I'm reasonably impressed.

Also, after several nice, warm, 50-60 degree days in December and January, Michigan has finally remembered it's a far northern state.  So now it's snowing and grey again.  There's been two snow days (one of which was severe enough to close Grand Rapids Public Schools, the local "your education is more important than your lives" faction).

I've had exactly one day that was almost my second-favorite weather.  (I like a warm sunny spring day with lots of flowers best, but my second favorite is more incongruous.)  Specifically, I like 60 degree with with huge piles of stubborn snow on the ground, and a light breeze.  Normally this isn't weather you'd find ever, but Michigan likes to pile on the snow, which means you absolutely can have a foot or two of snow on the ground, slowly sublimating away, whilst it's sunny, warm, and lightly breezy.  It's like winter's last impotent wheeze.  Anyway, the snow on the ground and the walking around in shorts and a light jacket together amuse me very much, so that weather gets second-favorite.  (For anyone interested, third favorite is torrential warm summer downpours, when you can walk around outside all alone but not get chilled.  Fourth is autumn, because while all the poets praise the US Northeast's fall colors, they clearly hadn't seen Michigan's flaming maple trees and the variety of colors here.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment