Tuesday, March 1, 2016

LENS and Life, week of 2/23/16

One site this week. 

I survived both interviews, somehow.  I got the Community Reviewer position, which is to say, I answered the same questions I'd already answered on paper over the phone, and apparently my fluency and word choice was adequate.  I got a bit more information about the position in the process, since the interviewer was a very polite, thoughtful person.  It turns out this will be a very temporary sort of job.  3-5 years max, with a call maybe once a year.  I'm a little disappointed about that; I'd rather hoped I could help shape research in the long term.  But even a bit is better than none, and it'll add to my resume.  Perhaps I can prod some of the scientists I meet into looking into LENS.  If there's a technique out there that needs more research and attention, it's that.  In my opinion, anyway. 

I won't hear back on the board of directors position for another week or two.  It sounds like they're not really sure what the board will do.  But it's an initiative to get people with disabilities into directing their own futures and organizations.  They had a lot of applicants across the entire state, though, so I may or may not be selected.  Either way, it was an interesting experience.  I got a better sense for what neurotypical people might feel like when faced with a differently-abled person who doesn't quite "know the script" of social interaction.  I think I'll make that Friday's entry, which means you'll actually see it as last Friday's entry. 

Chris and I have gotten started on cooking and making meals that are healthy.  We've made stroganoff, soup, pesto, freezer burritos, and a couple variations on stir-fry.  So far nothing's gone into the "meals for later" except the soup and burritos, but you have to start somewhere, right?

I'm recovering from being sore today.  Autism Support of Kent County rented out a roller rink for a couple hours last Sunday night.  So I broke out my skates.  I don't think this has come up in the blog yet, but I have actual roller skates.  I had lessons... maybe a decade and a half ago?  For several months.  And my teacher was pretty good, such that his daughters actually competed for dance skating.  I have nothing on them, naturally, but I did learn a few tricks.  Not the least of which is how to propel myself at impressive speeds for the amount of wind resistance my body provides.  So I had some fun.  Chris came with, but unfortunately his hip started hurting early on, so he didn't skate quite as much.  Still, it was a good outing.  I pushed my muscles pretty hard, doing the stuff I'd learned. 

I actually wasn't sore the day after that, but I did my usual Monday evening exercise with Chris, and then I pushed my muscles again- unwisely.  So now I'm pretty sore.  It's probably the intense exercise on top of the intense exercise, but it could also be that my muscles were doing the "we're going to pretend everything's okay today and then the next day we're going to make you regret living" thing.  As a child, I used to never get sore.  In my late teen years, I might get sore the next day if I really overdid it.  As an adult, if I'm not sore the day after, it's either because I didn't overdo it, or because my muscles are trying to lure me into a false sense of security so they can punish me thoroughly on the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment