Tuesday, February 2, 2016

LENS and LIfe, week of 1/26/16

Two sites this week.  The doctor had to sit through me complaining about moving, and decided two sites might help settle things for me.  Is that how that works?  I've no idea.

This entry marks the first late entry I've had in awhile.  I'm having trouble juggling unpacking and appointments and life and stuff.  The chest freezer isn't turned on yet because there's nothing in it.  We're half moved into the new place and half still in the old place, and this weekend we'll hopefully get some help hauling the heaviest things up the stairs to the 3rd floor.  The futon is going to be the worst.  My bed's foundation isn't springs or metal, but sturdy plastic.  So pretty darned light, frankly.  Another plus for it.

We're hoping to take our friends out to the Ethiopian restaurant nearby.  As it happens, I've had Ethiopian food before thanks to my brother and sister-in-law.  It's unusual, (of course), but tasty.  And the menu seemingly always comes with vegetarian options, which I hugely appreciate.  If you've never had it, Ethiopian food is eaten with a pancake/tortilla type thing called injara.  It's sourdough, and quite tasty.  You get a big dinner plate-sized piece with your meal.

To eat, you rip a piece off, pick up some of your vegetables/meat/etc with it, and consume the combination.  The meat and vegetables are spicy, but not really hot-spicy as I recall.  You can offset the spice with extra injara or your drink.  When I tried Ethiopian food for the first time, I got the vegetable sampler.  There was exactly one thing in there I was just kinda "eh" about.  Everything else was tasty.  So I'm really hoping I enjoy this restaurant's food as well.  It's right down the street!

Let's see... other things.  Last week I drove to a church to attend a meeting related to special needs, and ended up attending an informational seminar about terrorism and Islam.  The thing I'd driven over for was halfway across town, and I'd just barely been on time.  I opted to stay and increase my knowledge of Islam and my Muslim neighbors.  Turns out "Islam" is a modification of "salaam" or roughly, "the peace that comes with submitting your will to God's."  So this week there'll be another seminar, this time on Women in Islam.  That'll be... informative, hopefully.  I didn't like donning a head scarf when I visited the mosque across the street from the old apartment.  It's a cultural thing as I understand, but still doesn't sit well with me.  Hopefully I can understand a little better.

Finally, I've fallen off the exercise bandwagon entirely with all this moving.  I've got to try to do better, once all this is done.  I just can't muster the energy to go to the gym after hours of moving boxes... 

No comments:

Post a Comment