Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Late to work: a morning (2/15/15)

So I had a truly fabulous (this is sarcasm) morning recently.  It began with waking up six minutes after I needed to be at work.  See, my alarm clock has been giving me problems recently, which is to say it's decided to stop working, but only some of the time.  I'm not precisely rolling in cash, so I've been trying to solve the problem rather than run out and buy a new alarm.  

This is also partially because most alarms slam a truckload of adrenaline into my system when they go off, and panic is a bad way to start the morning.  As this morning proved.  I woke to the sound of my neighbors loud footsteps, rolled over, and saw the clock.  7:36.  

Obviously, I was not making it to work on time.  I flailed around for half a minute, then decided late was better than never.  People still needed me to do my work in the morning.  Diapers were going to pile up, nobody was going to take them out, and my coworkers were going to get frustrated.  So I got out of bed, trying to prioritize what I needed to do.  I was already late, so I skipped using the bathroom and doing hygiene things.  I could do those at work.  

I did stop to pack myself breakfast, because I was already going to have a bad day, I didn't need to add to it by starving myself.  I get super extra crabby if I'm hungry, and that means snapping at people who don't deserve it.  I was probably in enough trouble as it was.  Though my boss is pretty understanding, so maybe I would be fine.  As soon as my breakfast was packed, I was out the door and driving to work as fast as I could.  

I ended up being about a half hour late to work, arriving before my boss but definitely, obviously, painfully late.  I nearly ran between taking out the trash, starting the coffee, restocking supplies, getting paperwork ready, and refilling the office copier.  By the time all that was done, our appointment was already there, and the phone was ringing off the hook.  In short, the morning was entirely playing catch up.  

My boss didn't add to my misery, though, and just told me to make up the time as soon as possible.  Hopefully I can soon figure out why my alarm clock isn't working, or find an app that works better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment