Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Legwork and Life: Black Raspberries (and other rubus berries)

It's been a while, but I thought I'd say "hi" and "I'm doing okay despite the virus and stay-at-home orders" and also "here's what I've kept busy with."  There's actually a second post I should do on zucchini, but you'll forgive me if I keep it brief.

Black raspberry, or rubus occidentalis, is a wild growing bramble berry.  I've enjoyed the flavor since I was quite young and had very little idea what I was putting in my mouth (but Mom said it was safe).  It's smaller than domestic blackberries or raspberries, but very flavorful.  Like blackberries and raspberries, the brambles have thorns, but with care, you can get a delicious snack without too much trouble.

I gathered small handfuls here and there when I was little, but didn't think much of it.  Last year, one of my friends got into foraging, and I rediscovered rubus occidentalis.  Together we found several very worthy foraging spots for these delicious berries...  so this year, these happened:


Those are the same size of container, but it's three separate trips.  Each container is about the size of a large saucepan... so now you have a better idea of how many berries you're looking at.  Suffice it to say, I spent a lot of hours outdoors. 

I think this is one of those things being autistic helps with.  When I wasn't berrying with my friend, I'd put a playlist of podcasts on and just work my way through the area slowly but surely.  This allowed me to get into a state of hyperfocus: much of my mind could be occupied learning about mythology or trying to understand racial oppression in the US, and my hands and eyes were kept busy spotting and harvesting black raspberries.  Meanwhile I'm breathing fresh air and getting exercise.  Overall, it was a very positive experience.  My main gripe is that I don't have enough time in the day when I'm dedicating several hours to just berrying.

I only got ice cream after berrying once, but being able to throw fresh berries into my treat was really rewarding.  

There are actually five kinds of berries in the pictures above.  While the bulk of my harvest was black raspberries, there were also wild red raspberries, wild blackberries, some kind of hybrid blackberry/black raspberry, and what I assume was someone's escaped specialized raspberry plants. 

All rubus berries are safe to eat, so I consumed a few of those odd pale yellowish berries.  They tasted exactly like raspberries.  (Please note, not all berries are rubus berries!  Do not eat random berries off plants without IDing them.)

Because it personally amuses me: side by sides of domestic and wild berries.  Selective breeding at work!  I'm pretty sure raspberries weren't the size of my whole knuckle joint when I was little.  Though I think they were still bigger than that wild raspberry in the picture.  Maybe twice the size?

Anyway, once picked, I obviously ate some of my harvest raw...  but I also wanted to cook with them.  Which mean washing them.  From container to soaking (and picking little bits of plant matter out) to drying again. 


Pies were the obvious choice.  I actually made three, but gave the bulk of those pastries, including a half of a pie to my parents.  I also made a gluten-free pie for the first time, which would be more impressive if I hadn't used a baking mix.  The crust still came out poorly, because I couldn't use my gluten-infested rolling pin.  So I hand-shaped it and it was fine, but the crust cracked and filling leaked. There will be no awards for best in show, but they were still tasty at least.


There was also freezing them on trays...

And stuffing them into a gallon bag for later.  I may not be inclined to eat a whole gallon bag worth of black razzes (and friends) right now, but winter will likely be another story. 

Finally, I also made syrup.  This involved simmering the berries with water, sugar, corn starch (to thicken it) and a bit of vanilla.  The berries have to be mashed pretty good to get most of their liquids out.


You can strain all the pulp out of it, but I left a small amount in, just for some texture.  Leave it all, and you don't have a syrup, you have... I guess jam, kinda.  Leave none and you practically have store syrup.  Leaving some reminds you where the flavor came from without making you chew your way through all the seeds.



It's pretty good on ice cream!

I've made two batches of syrup now, and frozen most of it in ice cube form.  It'll last longer that way and can be thawed out when I want to serve it. 

The season is basically over now, which means I can stop braving the 90+ degree weather and focus a bit more on my plants and handling such things as dental appointments, getting an eye exam, and all that fun health maintenance stuff. 

It's been a very active summer for me, and I think I'm better for it.  Hopefully, my harvest and cooking work will brighten the gloomy winter days ahead.  

2 comments:

  1. Barbara from BostonAugust 2, 2020 at 5:36 AM

    Hi Barbara from Boston here. those odd yellowish berries are golden raspberries. They represent most of the canes from my community garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pies look great! I used wild black raspberries and blueberries to make a compote for pancakes and waffles!

    ReplyDelete