Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 4/10/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

My bike is fixed!  I had sent it to the shop a couple weeks ago to get it tuned, because it needed tuning last year and I just... didn't.  It's somewhat inexcusable, but I was so busy using it that I just didn't want to go without it for the week or two it'd take to have it worked on.  It was expensive to do, frustratingly.  So I'll probably look up some how-tos for bike care rather than have it professionally done every year.

Fortunately, it paid off.  The bike functions quite smoothly now, and I've been out twice on it already.  Spring is only just beginning around here, and all the plants are pretty much dead still.  I did manage to locate a small sea of cattails, so my friend and I will definitely be back to that area.  I'm excited for this whole foraging thing.  It'll combine exercise with food.  The latter is more my forte than the former, but y'know, baby steps.

The very professional finger slightly over the lens.  I am such a good photographer.  XD


Also health-related, I picked up a new meditation app.  Remember I mentioned like a month ago about the deer-human theory of stress?  Where healthy creatures, like deer, are calm most of the time, and go into fight/flight when there's a threat, but shift back to calm once the situation is over?  And humans don't, because we've created a world where you can't club all your problems to death.  Or at least, clubbing your debts to death wouldn't solve your problems for very long.  The idea with meditation was to retrain people to shift themselves back to calm, stepping back from the stress of their problems for a short time.

I've tried meditation in the past.  I've found it rather like trying to cage a hummingbird with a whisk.  I was somewhat hampered by the lack of instruction and free content, and grew discouraged with my lack of progress.  This particular app seems to incorporate social media with tons of free content.  So I'll give it a go.

Another issue with it is my sitting posture.  I have had awful posture basically my whole life.  So it'll be a goal this time around to find a way to sit such that I'm comfortable, but my back doesn't hurt after a while.  I've gotten around this in the past by simply lying on my bed.  Hard to get a stiff back if it's resting comfortably on a supportive sleeping surface.  Still, I'd like to have better posture overall.  It'd probably reduce my need for chiropractic work.

Lastly, I've been sick for almost a week now.  I think it might've started as "oh boy, there's mold in the house again..." but it proceeded to turn into some kind of sinus issue.  It's made me a bit more of a shut-in than is normal.  Several of my weekly activities include contact with elderly people, and I can't get past the thought of getting someone's grandparent sick.  Peoples' health can become fragile as they age, and what mildly inconveniences me could kill someone else.

Anyway, I haven't been a complete shut-in.  I've done my grocery shopping, met with friends, gone to church, and attended a meetup for autistic adults.  So I think I'm still doing okay.  I'm sure such a limited schedule would kill some extroverted people, but I'm highly introverted and still feel fairly satisfied with my social life.  So meh.  I'm calling it good enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment