Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 6/19/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

Poor sleep seems to be the order of the week.  Well, poor sleep and bad dreams.  Yesterday morning's involved acupuncture from hell, where each needle was scream-inducingly painful.  There were a lot of needles, and afterwards my brain added insult to injury by simulating free candy afterwards... but only the kinds I can't have because they're made with cow and pig bones (gelatin).   I'm really not sure what I did to anger my subconscious, but it must have been something really bad.  

Possibly it's the poor sleep.  The thing is, I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong.  I have the room darkened quite thoroughly.  I just acquired a body pillow that seems to be much more effective in lining up my back and joints.  I have much fewer cracking joints on waking up.  

I guess there's the fact that my grounding mat is wearing out?  Maybe it's not so effective now that it's pulling apart?  But I was never convinced that was a major issue.  So I guess I can replace it with the nearly flawless one I've been using at my computer and see if it makes a difference.  I'll let you know if it does.  I've been somewhat curious on that front, but lacked conclusive proof either way.  

Other, possibly related news: I upset my diaphragm (or possibly lower lungs?) by leaning over my couch for a few minutes.  I'm not really sure what happened, but the organ(s) in question were not forgiving.  I spent a lot of the weekend unable to breathe very well, and constantly feeling like my lower middle wouldn't expand properly.  It made it really easy to run out of breath.  Very unpleasant.  Not recommended.  

Basically, it put me in a slightly oxygen deprived state at all times, which made me very grumpy.  I didn't do a whole lot due to that.  A hot bath helped somewhat, but didn't really fix the problem.  It did, at least, let me try out some Japanese import bath salts (label in Japanese, a gift from a friend), which... the label was lavender, the powder was orange, and it turned the bathwater bright, fluorescent yellow.  Super weird, no idea why.  But it smelled nice, at least.  I didn't dare mix it with the epsom salts after the overdose debacle last time, so that'll still have to wait another week or so.  

Anyway, my breathing seems to be more or less back to normal now, for which I am very grateful.  Speaking of things that had to be put back to normal, this weekend my spouse and I attempted to fiddle with my tablet to make it more functional.  The process is called "rooting" and it basically lets you customize every aspect of the software in the device.  It also voids your warranty in most cell phone companies.  The thing is, this device already sports a thoroughly cracked screen, and the warranty doesn't cover that.  I'll be needing to get a new device soon, so as to avoid glass splinters.  So rooting the tablet doesn't really change a whole lot.  

Unfortunately, it turns out the device actually can't be rooted, due to weirdness in the hardware and software.  But the attempt did wipe all my data off the tablet, so I spent a good part of the weekend putting back my apps, games, and interface.  Not my favorite use of time, but it wasn't awful, and it's all done.  

Next week is Summer Games Done Quick, which is a charity video gaming event, and basically it means I'm going to have zero time.  So I'm trying to work ahead this week.  Made some small progress already!  Hopefully more progress will ensue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment