Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 5/22/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

I managed to sleep in a whole one day or so without my spouse around, and after that I started suffering lower back pain.  It woke me up progressively earlier and earlier until I racked up a sleep deficit... which is about where I was when he got home.  I've been tired ever since.  

I did manage to fix the lower back issues a day or two after Chris got home.  Turns out my bed was set too firmly, so my back wasn't getting enough support.  I'm not really sure why that was an issue in the first place, but it was.  My back seems to go through periods where it prefers a firmer mattress, and then periods where it doesn't.  I have an adjustable bed, so this isn't the end of the world, but it is pretty annoying.  

I spent a lot of time while he was gone just cleaning the place up.  I have a better eye for detail than my spouse, as well as a higher need for cleanliness, so it can be bothersome to him when it comes to cleaning up the whole house.  Moving things like computer chairs around for a whole day isn't really an option when the person is going to want to sit in them in a few hours.  So I moved a lot of things and cleaned up various surfaces that don't normally get attention.  The end result, I hope, was a better environment for me and a relatively welcoming return home for him.  

This week seems to be devoted to breaking my addiction to sugar and building a buffer.  I'm not actually sure it's wise to be trying for both of those at the same time, but it seems to be the direction I'm heading so I'm leaning into it.  I've been running kind of ragged all week, but I'm really, really tired of seeing my weight keep rising.  And I do have a week's worth of buffer, which I'll try to expand on as the week progresses.  

Last week I got my hair redone.  It's a lot darker than I'd've liked, because my friend tried something new and got new results.  The result is more "dark and stormy night" than "royal blue," unfortunately.  I'm sure it looks fine, it's just not what I was going for.  I'll live with it, though, and next time around she won't be quite as experimental.  In the meantime, I'll be seeing her this week for a biking excursion.  

It'll be good to see her, and also good to tie one of my exercise days to someone else, because I just haven't managed to work up the enthusiasm for biking this year.  Maybe it's too many rainy days?  I just haven't been able to get into a rhythm the way I did last year.  Anyway, it should be a good experience.  She likes seeing the flowers and greenery, and there's lots on my preferred biking trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment