Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 5/15/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

I don't think the crow garlic experiment is going to work out.  I've moved the pots around a bunch, and have kept both of them watered, but they just don't seem happy.  I don't really like being the source of any living creature's suffering, so I'll probably harvest what I can from them and then not replace them.  As far as I know, plants don't suffer pain in a way we recognize, but that's no reason to prolong the experience.  

There are probably a number of reasons this experiment didn't work, from not having the right pot, to soil type, to how I transported them, to the spot I tried to grow them.  I really don't have a green thumb, and so much of this was done with my best guesses.  And they really were guesses, because I have basically no intuition for this sort of thing.  People, yes.  Plants, no.  

That is, I suppose, one of the nice things about being an adult.  I can, if I wish to devote the effort, go to the local library and find reading materials on how to develop a green thumb.  There are even classes and programs I might sign up to attend, for small fees.  At my current age, I'm likely to live at least another couple decades.  If I spent roughly 20 years developing my intuition regarding people and human-built systems, I could probably spend another 20 developing intuition around the natural world and plants.  

I don't know if I want to devote myself quite that much to a skill set I'm not fascinated in.  But it's definitely a subject upon which much has been written.  For the time being, I'll simply have to make regular trips out to the trail for my crow garlic butter biscuits.  

My spouse is away for few days, and all the extra "me time" has gotten me interested in seeing how I handle all that extra time.  So far I've been able to sleep in as long as I wanted, spent extra time doing frivolous things, listened to a metric ton of podcasts, flatly failed to cook proper meals for myself, and cleaned up various places so they annoy me less.  Kind of a mixed bag, I guess.  

I don't expect to end up playing video games all day and subsisting on only junk food, to be honest, but it remains to be seen, I suppose.  Well, except for the part where I did write this blog post on time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment