Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 3/20/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

I'm kind of dragging this week.  I'm not sure what it is, I just feel like I don't have things together even though things are reasonably okay.  Maybe it's all the stuff I feel like I should be doing in a week, but am not accomplishing fast enough to suit myself?  I dunno.  

I'm sure the massive lack of sleep doesn't help.  I've been doing poorly about bedtime and getting to sleep at a reasonable hour, and that's definitely not helping my mood, energy level, or overall well-being.  

In happier news, I did manage to finally catch up on the podcast I mentioned near the beginning of the year.  That's allowed me to look into the other podcasts I've bookmarked, including a podcast from the BBC specifically on disability news and events.  

It's... been kind of a mixed bag.  A podcast is kind of like a radio show, but because it was born in a more informal environment, the coherence and understandability of any given podcast are not guaranteed to be good.  While the very first podcast I listened to was very clear and easy to understand (well, aside from the sense of humor), several of the others I've listened to in the last week... haven't been.  At all.  It's a little discouraging.  

It may just be a matter of attuning my listening skills to pay better attention.  I hope that's it.  I'm used to listening to podcasts while doing other things, and at least one of the podcasts I tried, I just couldn't do that.  Or perhaps it's simply that I'm unused to the standard format of news presentation, since I haven't watched television news, or listened to radio news, in years.  Either way, I'm discouraged but not giving up just yet.  

In other good news, the weather seems to be turning towards spring.  This is excellent, because while it wasn't exactly a typical winter for around here (all grey clouds all the time, no sunshine, no blue in the sky), it has been kind of a drag all the same.  So we've had a few days of temperatures in the 50s, and the snow's been melting away nicely.  The pond out back has been defrosting as well, and birds are returning, including the ducks.  My days of being able to have the windows open are numbered, because the algae will be growing soon, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts!  

I think these strange pre-spring days, with piles of snow yet on the ground, blue skies, and the sun shining down, are maybe my third favorite kind of day in a year.  They're very enjoyable for their weirdness, because you can go walking amongst snow drifts, yet be wearing shorts and a Tshirt.  I think they still play second fiddle to a really warm and sunny summer day, the kind I go biking during.  And also fall behind a pleasant spring day, with the ornamental crabapple trees in full bloom and various other flowers sprinkled in.  

I guess I should take some pictures of all three, huh?  I'll certainly have my chances this coming year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment