Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 1/2/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

Hello from the New Year, where I'm hopeful about the coming 365 days.  2018 wasn't an entirely bad year, but it was very trying.  I attended two rounds of government research panels, went house-hunting with my spouse, successfully found and bought a home, and traveled for Thanksgiving.  There were plenty of not-quite-as-lifeshattering events as well, naturally.  While every life has to include some excitement, I'm hoping this coming year will be slightly less so.  


I'll do a proper look into my goals from last year at a later point (I refuse to call them resolutions, since people tend to give up on those super-quickly if they don't succeed).  For now, though: the holidays were quite draining for not involving much travel.  The most we did travel-wise was drive to the other side of the state to see my uncle.  That's about 6 hours round trip, rather than the 28ish we'll be traveling for Christmas 2019. 

I think maybe it's because I got myself into a tizzy about presents this year, both in October and in December.  I got started earlier, which was good, but didn't get a few people's gifts figured out until nearly the last minute.  Which was not so great.  I can do better this year.  I think.  I hope.  I have the organizational documents from last year, anyway. 

The New Year's Eve party went pretty well.  I think we overbought on snacks a bit, but the small group of friends we invited seemed happy enough with our offerings.  We made Chris' family New Year's punch, which was a favorite.  Still got a good bit of that left, so I'll probably be drinking it for the rest of the week in addition to my usual massive glass of water. 

If anyone's looking for a good party game, I can now highly recommend both Jackbox Party Pack 4 and 5.  Some of our friends brought their console and copies of them.  Both games are for various consoles, and I think I'll have to pick them up soonish.  They feature interactive games you use your smartphone/device to play.  The game is hosted on a TV or computer screen or whichever, and everyone pulls out their phones or laptops to enter their answers or ideas.

So, the most fun game to describe might be Patently Stupid, where the game prompts you to creatively solve a funny problem people might have.  You might fill in "cheese curds" for "I keep finding _____ on my doorstep."  Your finished problem is then given to a random other person in the group, who then has to come up with an invention to solve this problem.  They draw it on a simulated napkin, give it a name, and give it a tagline. 

The game then has each player present their idea, using the picture, name, and tagline.  Your imagination is the limit, and your drawing skills don't matter terribly much (seriously, I draw like an untalented 3rd grader, and it was fine).  I might, for example, decide a porch vacuuming system would be a good way to solve this problem.  So I might draw a handheld vacuum head suspended over a porch.  I could title it "Porch Vac" and give it the tagline, "Problems suck, but our vacuum will help!"  When it came time to present, I could say something about having a sorting system for dead leaves, cheese curds, packages, etc. 

Once everyone has presented, players designate "money" towards the ideas they like best, which gets you your score for that round.  It's a pretty cool idea, in my opinion, and easily repeatable with lots of different people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment