Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 1/16/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

Hello from my computer, where I am frantically rebuilding my buffer.  It's funny to me that I was so happy about keeping my buffer goal for 2018, and then within a week ran out of buffer.  Oops.  I guess it's not like that's catastrophic failure, it's just... not great for my sanity.  And life is about learning!  Often from mistakes.  So many mistakes.  

At this very moment, I have a very small buffer again!  I must be getting better at this.  Well, I'd better be getting better at this, The Realistic Autistic blog has been going for four years.  That's longer than my marriage.  Though not as long as I've been dating Chris.  Anyway, presumably I'm improving my efficiency in consuming blog material, and writing up posts.  

I took my first steps to meeting goal 4 (start an autism-related volunteer or paid job) this week.  I've got a folder with what I'm calling "homework," tongue-in-cheek.  It's a bit of data entry, effectively, for Autism Support of Kent County.  I'm decent at data entry, though too much of it will either put me into a trance or bore me to tears.  But this has nothing on the massive stack of papers I once dealt with for a different organization, so as long as I don't keep looking at it and saying, "Oh, that'll take no time at all, I'll do it later," it should be done soon.  We'll see what else ASK has for me after that. 

I'm not sleeping super well recently, and feeling less rested when I wake.  It could be sugar intake levels- despite my efforts, there is too much sugar around the house, and I tend to eat it when I see it.  It could be insufficient vitamin D: it's winter, and I'm not going outside.  I haven't upped my dosage back to two capsules a day, and I probably should.  But I'm inclined to think it's an option 3, because I always seem to wake up around 9:30.  I don't hear anything particularly abnormal around then, so maybe it's related to the heating system?  Something to look into.  

Socially, I've had some major downs recently, but also some ups.  Some people treated me rather poorly and the discussion of it was extremely tiring and unpleasant.  It actually exhausted my entire store of energy for the whole weekend, which was rather dismaying given my lack of blog buffer.  

But I still managed my Monday appointments, including lunch with my dad, an hour plus chat session with the Executive Director of ASK, and then a viewing party of the latest episode of The Good Place with friends.  All these things were draining, and yet good for me emotionally.  Kind of weird how that works.  I'm grateful, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment