Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 8/15/17

A lot of good things happened this last week, which is a nice change of pace.   It wasn't all sunshine naturally, but my little list of stuff to write about is 1 bad thing to 4 good ones, so y'know.  Not too shabby.

The one bad thing was that all the Self Advocates meetings I was involved in ended up being a bust.  I entirely forgot the Tuesday meeting last week that I was supposed to run and the Executive committee didn't meet. To top it all off, the problem member I've been complaining about got her act together... for two weeks.  Then apparently she opted to change to a different committee, which leaves me shorthanded and excessively frustrated.  I'm seriously considering just dropping the whole obligation.  It doesn't make me happy, it doesn't pay, and it definitely detracts from my sanity.  Unfortunately, it's also extremely important to changing the state and the country.  Ugh.

On the other end of things, I'm proud of myself for consistently playing DDR (Dance Dance Revolution, the jumping/walking to music game).  I've been doing 2 days a week for 15-30 minutes, but I'm upping that to 3 days a week because my Wednesday walking partner is going to be out of town for about a month.  I think I'll be able to make the transition to 3 days a week easily enough, and I figured out that I could use "Endless Mode" to make for a more seamless aerobic workout.  Normally when you play you have to choose each song and difficulty.  On Endless Mode, the game chooses for you automatically, stringing five songs back to back, but you can preset the difficulty ahead of time so it's not too hard.

Another happy thing this last week was Chris and I reaching our 9 month date since getting married.  We haven't killed each other, obviously.  It ended up being on a Sunday, and we had a little check in with the premarital counseling person at our church.  The counselor basically wanted to know how things were going, if we had any concerns, etc.  We brought up the chore list issue, which has been a stumbling block for us, and he's offered to be a mediator for when we decide to rework the list.  So we might take him up on that.  Chris and I both hate chores, but they do need to happen, so it's not exactly an issue that's going to go away.

After we did the counseling, we went home and started work on one of my favorite dishes these days: beef stew.  In general, my meat consumption is fairly low, and is mainly chicken and ground bison, so steak, stew meat, and other less common meats are a real treat.  So Chris has started making beef stew on occasion, using stew meat from a local farm with the Animal Welfare Approved certification.  The meat is therefore cruelty-free and extra-delicious.  However, the stew itself requires a lot of prep work, particularly since when he makes it, it tends to be a double and triple recipe. So Chris redeemed one of the "give me a hand with this" coupons, and I helped him chop a whole lot of fresh vegetables.  Carrots, onions, potatoes, green beans, and celery all went in, much of it from a local farm market.  The result was exceedingly delicious, and I may have eaten a bit too much of it when it was done.  The rosemary bread Chris had baked the day before was a really tasty complement, too. 

It was a lot of work, but it paid off nicely.
The last happy thing is the most recent: I'm getting my hair cut and colored again.  Brighter blue this time, but still a relatively dark blue.  Sapphire-esque, I guess?  Rather than the dusky bluish purple it was before.  Chris actually has a scrap from my wedding dress, which I'm going to bring to match the color with.  Should be a fun experience.  I need to make sure to play DDR extra long before I go, though, because apparently your hair should be kind of oily for best coloring results.  And I sort've left my shower until the day before, and my hair was full of lint and bits along with the oil.  So I gotta grease my hair back up again so the color will take nicely.  Much DDR shall ensue!

No comments:

Post a Comment