Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Legwork and Life, week of 11/8/16

Sorry for the lateness of this entry; I spent basically all of yesterday crafting flowers and preparing wedding stuff, because it has to be delivered to the reception hall today.  : /

My delay does give me a unique option to address the results of election day this year, though...

I've made no particular secret of my political tendencies: I favored Bernie Sanders as a rigorously moral, very unpolitician-esque candidate.  And now his complete opposite has been voted President-elect.

I have a number of LGBT friends.  Developmentally disabled friends.  Women friends.  Islamic neighbors.  Mexican and other immigrant or immigrant-descended acquaintances.  We, all of us together, will suffer under Trump.  The man invites depressingly accurate comparisons to Hitler.

I can't imagine what people must be thinking right now.  Trump doesn't keep his promises, he pretends they didn't happen, and until recently, he's had enough money and influence to sue anyone who protests into oblivion.  The man can't run a business without vast amounts of abuse, fraud, and corruption, as we can all read from his business history, but they think he'll be able to run the country?

We're all in for a very hard lesson in "talk is cheap, and celebrities are just people," I think.  With a Republican-majority Congress to back his verbal diarrhea and predictable ego, he may actually get a lot of law pushed through.  Thus setting back social progress at least 50 years.  My only hope rests on the Republican party fracturing itself further by rejecting Trump, but desperate as they are for a win, I kind of doubt that will happen.

When I get home from my honeymoon, I'm going to knock on my neighbors' door and tell them that if they have any problems with Islamophobia, to let me know and I'll see if I can't organize my church to help them.  Michigan, to my complete and utter disgust, is likely to finish counting the votes and side with Trump.

At this point, my neighbors need all the support they can get.  And so do I.  Trump likes me no better than he likes them.  Or anyone else that isn't useful to inflating his ego, making him money, or submitting to his abuse.

I have never really enjoyed future planning.  Now I have to look at it and try to keep from screaming and crying.  I will have to avoid public televisions, because I can't stand to hear Trump talk.  I will have to look at other Americans, and know that about half of them voted for injustice, for the stripping of personhood from minorities, for a spray-tanned, orange bigoted talk show host with an ego that could crush New York City.  For a spoiled manchild with a heart of stone.

Truly, the time for advocacy is now.  And truly, all I really want to do is tell half of America to jump off a bridge.  They've basically just told me that I, my neighbors, my friends, we're all not people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment