Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Legwork and Life, week of 10/4/16

This week has felt hilariously busy.  I think that's because I'm finally buckling down to do a lot of the wedding prep stuff I'd been putting off.  Like, say, buying the rest of the origami paper for the flowers.  And a hot glue gun.  At this point I have most of the bits for the wedding favors done, though I could stand to make more.  There's still one piece missing from the process.  It's not a mandatory piece, but it is a pretty cool piece, so I really hope it ships soon.


No word yet from the sleep laboratory regarding my lack of restedness in the morning.  If I don't hear from them by this Thursday, I get to call and pester them.  In the meantime, I've started taking melatonin again on pointed proddings from my LENS-doctor.  It's reduced the number of times I wake up in the night, so that's nice.  Kind of annoyed, though, because it is working, which means my brain has stopped making the appropriate amount of melatonin by itself.  Also means I'm likely to need to keep a range of melatonin dosages available for the rest of my life.  At least, unless something really insightful comes out of the results from the sleep study.  But granted how life-changing and problem-solving the other results have been, I'll not hold my breath.  (For newer readers: that was sarcastic, they haven't been either of those things.  I'm seeing incremental improvements, which often backslide while I'm not looking.)

I don't have quite as lengthy of a recitation of events for this last week, but it was busy.  I've had little time to sit at home and relax, let alone work on my mindscape or other coping techniques. 

It was the 3 month evaluation done at the chiropractic this week, though.  Fresh X-ray, more of the tests we had in the intro.  They were aiming at trying to put more curve into my neck, mainly.  My neck, you see, was trying to be ramrod straight.  Your vertebrae are supposed to gracefully arch at about a 34 degree angle, at least ideally.  Upon starting this whole mess, my vertebrae were saluting at about a 4 degree angle.  After three months of shoving my spine around, my neck has started slouching a bit in its salute, at about 14 degrees.  This is apparently nearly unprecedented progress for such a short time.  They usually only see a couple degrees' difference, and that tells them what they're doing is working. So, y'know, guess it's working. 

I'm wondering if my case isn't an outlier for this sort of work.  I am, overall, fairly healthy for someone going to the chiropractor.  While the US medical system preaches that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, it teaches that you don't go in for treatment unless there's something very wrong with you.  In this case, when everything hurts and you can't avoid it, or after a part of your spine is likely fused from being out of place so long.  Also known as "when it's too late to reverse most of it" in chiropractic care.  In my case, I have the resources to start before my neck hurts to that degree, and I bought enough of their "there's no time like the present to start reversing bad stuff!" spiel to pay them for the pleasure.  I don't have back pain in the traditional sense, but there were headaches and minor musculo-skeletal aches and pains.  That was enough to make me think it was worth the time and money.  Thus far, I have fewer headaches (actually, none this month.  Yay.), and an x-ray that says my spine is improving. 

Other stuff... Ah.  So I already mentioned I had a bachelorette party last week.  That was fun.  Well, this week I got to be very spoiled and also got a bridal shower.  Different group of friends, and handmade gifts only (with a couple exceptions).  It was a nice party, if a somewhat trying one.  Not all the people in that group have flawless conversational skills, so a couple of them sort've hijacked the conversation for minutes at a time.  But you kinda have to shrug at that after awhile, it's not like they're doing it to be rude.  I did put my foot down when the conversation got stuck on politics, though.  I have nothing kind to say about politics, and since basically everyone kept assuring me that it was my party and I was allowed to do whatever I want, I barred politics from further discussion.  I'm still not sorry. 

Beyond the unfortunate conversational flukes, the organizer had gone all out and snagged take-and-bake pizzas of excellent quality, along with a truly enormous cake with buttercream icing (my favorite) and two kinds of ice cream.  Between that and the recipes, ready-made-scrapbook, handmade coasters, cards, and other kindnesses, it was really nice.  I wasn't expecting any parties, given my general state of busy-ness and lack of initiative in planning parties, but I got two.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment