Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Legwork and Life, week of 10/18/16

"Tired" is the word for this week.  My progress with using the melatonin has stopped dead, despite increasing the dosage.  I'm not sure what to try, and the sleep study results still haven't come in yet due to procrastination at the sleep clinic.  My doctor had a friend of hers look over the results, though, and it doesn't seem like I have sleep apnea.  This is good, because two of my family members snore very loudly and that can be a sign of sleep apnea.  So that's one bullet dodged, I guess.

The downside is that I now have no idea what to do regarding improved sleep.  Besides the annoying things, anyway, which would be to take a walk about an hour before bed, and put all electronics away 2 hours before bed.  I practically live on the computer and carry my tablet everywhere with me.  Putting them aside for two hours would be extremely difficult.  For example, I like to read before bed, but my shelves have a very limited capacity, so most of my books are kept on my tablet.  So reading is out.  I can't read the news, because all of that is online too.  I can't play a simple puzzle game to settle down, because that's on the computer.  Oh look, we've just summarized everything I like to do in the evenings!

Light from electronics is one factor in sleep hygiene, as my doctor puts it.  So I should probably brush up on the rest, just in case it's less onerous.  But I doubt it.  I don't recall any easy answers the last time I read up on this stuff.

In happier news: wedding stuff is coming along!  The last piece for the wedding favors is in, which means Chris and I will be able to start assembling the favors.  I'm excited about that, because these should be pretty cool favors.  In addition, I have a prototype for a table centerpiece for the reception.  I finally got my butt in gear and made plans into reality.  My grandmother, a skilled and experienced flower-arranger, has tentative expressed approval, so that makes me happy.  I'm hoping the final product will look a less less haphazard about the spread of the flowers, but overall it appears to be a good design.  Once the design is finalized, I need only line-produce the various pieces until we get to CT.  I can put them together there and not worry about them getting flattened or destroyed.

I'm also, if barely, managing to start a buffer for the Friday entries.  I have a backup plan for if I can't manage to cover November's Friday entries, but since I'm likely to be very busy getting married, and then trying to enjoy my honeymoon, I'd rather not have to worry about it.  So I'm still busily reading books and trying to write reviews.  I hope y'all aren't too tired of them.  As I've written more and more, it's been harder to find opinions and topics to talk about that I haven't already gone over.  I know from experience that a little repetition isn't a bad thing, but I'd hate to post the same thing twice in slightly different words and have people wondering whether they're wasting their time.


As if I wasn't busy enough, I've also gotten the first episode/session/meetup for a D&D group done.  It's a small group of friends from Michigan and Connecticut, and they're good folks, so I organized and led the first session.  Which was thankfully very simple, because boy howdy I do not need extra complexity right now.  Subsequent sessions won't be nearly so simple, but the next one isn't for a couple weeks, so I have time to flail, panic, and prepare.  Probably in that order. 

2 comments:

  1. If it helps, I use the app F.lux to gradually remove blue light from my computer screen. I think it works. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.lux

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I thin an e-ink reader with a back light isn't a screen that causes loss of sleep. An e-ink reader with a back light turned off is just like a paper book to your eyes.

    ReplyDelete