Tuesday, January 19, 2016

LENS and Life, week of 1/12/16

No sites today (but we can probably bet it will be 1 on Thursday, when I go).  I'm getting mildly uneasy that we're getting nearer to the week of mapping my sensory strip.  The last time we touched that site, I nearly strangled every thoughtless person in my vicinity.  I'm not as stressed these days, but it's not nice, knowing that's probably going to happen again.  I spent that entire week in pre-damage control mode, constantly having to talk myself down from unhealthy courses of action.

Do keep in mind that's vastly atypical for my experience with LENS, though.  Most weeks I barely notice a thing, but given my experience at Christmastime, it's clearly done plenty of good.  I'd've been a nervous depressed angry wreck every other year. 

Apartment Progress

We now have a new apartment.  I have yet to put in notice at the old place, because they still haven't given me back my $50 in erroneous late fees.  Y'know, for like the 6th time.  The staff at the office seem nice enough, but their corporate is entirely made of trolls, steaming turds, and sadistic cats as far as I can tell.  I wish I could yell at people like my dad does.  Not that I'd want to do so terribly often, but if I can actually find the people who deserve it, they could use a good harassing.  I'm sure $50 means nothing to them, but it's several meals or a tank of gas to me.

The new place, on the other hand, seems a little tight for staff but the front desk/agent person seems to care about our experience.  I... can't quite get a handle on her, which leaves me paying attention to her words and actions, but other than being very particular about policies (nothing that bothers us), being difficult to get ahold of, and being really sick right now, she seems fine.  Email seems to be the order of the day with her.  I don't think I'll want to live there for years, but it should be fine for a single year or so.  House-hunting next year, at least at present. 

We've already taken most of Chris' storage unit, a bundle of my stuff, and most of his remaining stuff to the new place.  At this point we're sort of stripping the Sardine Can down to essentials, moving the nonessential stuff one box/plastic storage tote at a time, and then probably settling on a warmer day sometime soon to haul the rest of it.  Chris prefers sooner over later, but my period just started and "ouch" does not even close to summarize my condition right now. 

Stuff to do today (if I can muster the energy to move) includes packing the extra kitchen things, moving some more easily-grabbable stuff (like box fans, printer, air purifier) out to the car, and disassembling a set of poor man's bookshelves (four closet doors stacked with bricks between them). 

Potential Breakthrough for Cooking

So Chris and I might've gotten past an impasse on cooking.  Neither of us likes cooking, but apparently Chris really hates prep.  Chopping meat, vegetables, etc.  Inspired by my mother, I recently snagged five bell peppers and chopped them up, then froze them on a baking sheet.  Once frozen, they could be scraped into a bag and used by the handful as needed.  I did the same with some red onion and some chicken, later.  I don't particularly mind the chopping, so long as I can do it ahead of time whilst not grumpy, hungry, and tired.  (Well, raw meat is pretty much always gross, but that's less of an issue since I don't eat that much meat.)

So with those things, some other frozen foods, salsa and seasonings, and a packet of brown rice/quinoa, Chris threw together a nutritious meal a couple days ago and didn't make much fuss about it.  This is unusual, because usually both of us complain if we have to cook, and as such, we usually do it together.  It gets the food made, but isn't exactly fun. 

I asked him about it afterwards, and he said specifically that he didn't mind it as long as the frozen things were already there.  So I might have to go to Costco once we're moved in properly.  Onions, sweet peppers, maybe even broccoli, could be frozen the same way.  I can certainly still cook, but if he's willing to cook more often with that stuff available, it would go a long way toward making me not feel like a live-in, unpaid cook. I can also probably get him to help chop things on weekends, when he's not so tired out from work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment