Tuesday, September 22, 2015

LENS and Life, week of 9/15

One site today again, at LENS.  I guess that's just how it's going to be from now on.  No interesting side effects.  I'm a little concerned for the future, when we eventually get back to... I forget, either the motor strip or the sensory strip.  They're right next to each other on the brain, but the motor strip controls movement in your limbs and the sensory strip processes touch and stuff for your skin.  One of those two areas, when stimulated by LENS, makes me immensely angry, impatient, and unpleasant.  My doctor assures me it'll still be awhile 'til we get to that spot, though, so I should worry about it yet. 

I'm starting to have problems sleeping well again.  Something to talk to the doctor about.  I'm having trouble getting to sleep, but then I'm also having trouble staying asleep.  I used to be able to get by using sustained release melatonin... basically stuff that gives you regular doses of it all night, rather than just a ton of it to knock you out cold at bedtime.  Unfortunately I seem to be waking up repeatedly again.

I've switched back to the "knocks you out cold at bedtime" stuff because that hasn't been giving me wonky dreams and making me feel completely out of it in the morning.  The awakeness seems to give out of me about an hour or two into my morning, though, and then the tiredness makes me crabby.  Given how much I like my job to begin with, it's a not-fun combination. 

There're a number of things that could be contributing, such as my not-perfect diet right now, the fact that I've started reading webcomics right before bed (staring at backlit screens before bed is bad for you), or the fact that the stress of my job has ramped up with my decision to quit in the future.  Or a bunch of other things.  I believe "death by a thousand cuts" was how one of my friends described it.  Or I guess "grumpiness and stress by a thousand cuts," to be more accurate. 

I'm going to give it a month or so to see whether time will settle things down.  Once I run out of webcomic, I should be good to get back to reading actual books again.  That would solve the "bright screen before bed" issue, which might solve the "not sleeping well" issue.  Then too, I'll get more used to work and leaving it, so time will help with that too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment