Tuesday, February 17, 2015

On the sidelines of autism politics (9/8/14)

Today at work, there was a donation presented to my place of work by a big Internet provider.  Lots of people showed up to see the check and be in the photos.  I was there, but not as an invited guest.   I, the only person in the room actually on the spectrum other than the small child on display, was the guardian of the bathrooms.  Those doors are always locked, so they needed someone to let people in.  So there I stood, at the back of the room, watching as big and important people said speeches, made pretty noises about autism and hope for the future, and smiled endlessly in front of cameras.

I felt...  Well, it seemed like some of the people were there just for the good publicity.  The caterer came and kept me company after awhile, and we compared notes on these sorts of events.  He verified my observation and informed me that this was very common.  The event lasted about half an hour.  

I left after most people had filed out and my boss had informed me I was good to go.  As I walked the halls toward my belongings, I wondered about the situation.  All those apparently neurotypical people, and me there in the back.  It struck me as a sound representation of how autism matters are run presently.  The people actually on the spectrum aren't in the spotlight unless they're kids, or except in very rare cases.  It's all neurotypical parents and therapists and teachers talking to each other.

This needs to change.  And I need to help change it.  We can't be stuck on the sidelines while the world assumes it knows what's best for us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment