Friday, May 29, 2020

Ten Things of Thankful


Ran across this idea while doing some exploratory research.  The gist is that it's a challenge to look at your life and find at least ten things to be thankful for.  There's some kind of networking component I'm not sure I'll opt into, because I have limited energy, but it seems like a good idea.  

Relatedly, there is a literal boatload of studies (that would actually fill a boat if you printed them out) on how gratitude and taking time to be thankful is good for your health, so here's my list (in no particular order).  

  1. Positive People.  This includes my friends, who are few, but each is an incredibly worthwhile person.  It includes my spouse and some of my family, especially my parents.  It also includes various online acquaintances and content creators.  Basically, any person I can think of and immediately have a positive reaction to.  
  2. The Internet.  It is, by definition, a mix of truth and lies, but in these  interesting times, it's what's made the difference between people staying home and people ignoring quarantine because they're bored out of their minds.  It's where I met my first friend.  It's what makes it possible for me to spend time with family and friends, even now.  
  3. My Bicycle. Which I expect to be using as soon as the weather stops being rainy.  I put air in the tires a few days ago and hopped on for the first time in months... it seems I still remember how to ride, but am hilariously out of shape.  Still, with care, my bike will provide medium range transport to various places, including the local grocery store and some slightly-further-away foraging locations.  
  4. Video Games. For some of the same reasons as the Internet, but more personally.  In World of Warcraft, I regularly interact with a workgroup of 10-20 people.  I mostly don't know what they look like, but I'm able to spend time with them in and out of game, and that helps with the isolation.  There's also Animal Crossing, which has a whole world-spanning community around it.  And Ring Fit Adventure, which is literally an exercise game.
  5. The Various Therapies That Support My Wellbeing.  These include my supplements, which are mostly vitamins and minerals (but also some brain chemicals), my biweekly trip to see my therapist and have LENS done, and various dietary modifications.  I avoid dairy and high histamine foods, which means I tend to eat things like sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter, or pseudocheese products instead of regular cheese.  
  6. My Neighbor the Great Blue Heron. Picture below because it wouldn't attach without messing up my list.
  7. Foraging. Giving me a reason to ditch my house while still social distancing.  I like trying new things (to some extent).  Trying new foods, knowing they're packed full of nutrients the store produce can't hope to match, is a great bonus.  It also makes me feel a bit less anxious about whether there will be food in the future, because while the grocery store is unlikely to run out of food, knowing you can supplement your diet with wild foraged food is invaluable.  It's also a great reason to go outside.  
  8. My Spouse.  He's technically been mentioned, but he deserves his own listing.  While our relationship is still a work in progress (which is normal, as I understand it), he's willing to put in the work to make our communication better and more successful.  Since I'm autistic and don't work on the same wavelength as he does, this is a very valuable choice he's made, and continues to make every day.  We have a lot of things in common, but where I've become bitter and crabby over the years, he's still somewhat innately joyful and playful.  
  9. Good Food.  The one constant pleasure in my life, which sounds horrible until you consider how bad it might have been if I'd had none at all.  One of the ways my parents showed their love was by making or buying us food.  Mom typically handled most of the cooking, but sometimes Dad would grill chicken, steaks, or shrimp.  On Sundays we'd sometimes eat at a restaurant.
  10. The Quietness of My Home.  I have fairly sharp hearing and unfortunately my brain doesn't filter out extraneous noise.  So right now I can hear the faint hum of my computer running, as well as the air conditioner, refrigerator, the sound of my chair and keyboard, etc.  However, what I don't have to hear is noises from outside.  I used to live in places where people would blare music from stereos, lean on their car horns, yell at each other, and tromp up and down the public stairs at all hours.  It was very distracting and unpleasant.  I now live somewhere significantly quieter, and am much happier for it.  

a great blue heron on grass at the edge of a pond
Growing up, I became accustomed to ducks (especially mallards) and Canada geese.  Herons, however, are a special treat, and this fellow (or lady) comes by every now and then.





Young dandelion greens salad, sheep sorrel, and shagbark hickory nuts awaiting shelling and consumption.  

No comments:

Post a Comment