Friday, April 10, 2020

Types of Stigma: Healthcare Practitioner Stigma


Type 7: Healthcare Practitioner Stigma

Healthcare Practitioner Stigma is when a health professional allows stereotypes about autism to negatively affect a patient's care.

When I first looked at this type of stigma, I wasn't sure why it was separate from public stigma and structural stigma.  I thought about it, though, and unfortunately, it's correct to have it be a separate category.  To explain why, we'll revisit Dr. Stephen Shore's often-quoted adage: "If you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism."

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, or the DSM, gives us words to describe different neurologies, mental illnesses, and conditions.  The World Health Organization puts out a series of numerical codes (ICD) to go with those words, which insurance and healthcare entities use.  Patients are coded with these numbers, which serve as a shorthand to who they are and how to handle them when those patients show up in an office.

I wrote a post about this back when I was working at an autism therapy center.  Four codes to summarize, in healthcare-ese, me as a person.  The same four codes a therapist might receive when taking me on as a client, or a doctor might receive when preparing to help me with a health problem.  When I went through school to receive my psychology degree, I was also taught about autism.  I didn't recognize myself in the diagnostic criteria, but it's what I was taught.

It is, in fact, what they're all taught, if they're taught anything.

With the diagnostic criteria being so unhelpful, and autism being such a broad and diverse group of people, it's maybe not surprising that healthcare practitioners would fall prey to making bad assumptions about autistic people.

The issue, of course, is that unlike random passersby, healthcare practitioners are trusted with the power to open and close doors to therapy and care.

If healthcare practitioners work on the assumption that all autistic people are dependents, or that all autistic people can or can't speak, or that we all suffer the same kind of depression, anxiety, or digestive disorders, their decisions will be skewed or even outright wrong.  Each autistic person should be taken separately, like any other human.  Every human has strengths and weaknesses, different biologies and different healthcare needs.

As a rule, autistic people tend to have more health problems, more fragile systems, and more challenges with mental health and wellness, so it's incredibly important to have competent healthcare practitioners who know to ask questions rather than making assumptions based on their schooling.

Yet of all the healthcare professionals I've had since getting my diagnosis, only one has made a point of asking lots of questions about me as a person, after I gave them my diagnosis.  Can you guess which one it was?

It was my therapist and LENS practitioner.  Y'know, the one doctor who has literally no excuse to not know better, given how many of her clients are autistic.

The size estimates for the autism population are still rising.  We need better understanding in our healthcare professionals.  Our lives and health depend on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment