Friday, November 29, 2019

WYR: Using Augmentative and Alternative Communication

http://www.thinkingautismguide.com/2019/10/ok-so-we-have-aac-now-what.html

One of the things I've always wanted to see was an overview of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC).  Those of us that don't speak or don't speak well enough to count as "normal" may rely on systems like the app Speak For Yourself, card systems, sign language, etc.  This article is not that, but it's a good primer in learning, using, and teaching those technologies.

I feel these technologies, and articles like this one, are extremely important.  Autistic people aren't the only ones who can find themselves unable to communicate verbally.  Various developmental disabilities, speech impediments, and other conditions can make these technologies appropriate and useful.

Personally, I developed speech at about the normal time, and have been able to take my verbal skills mostly for granted as I grew up.  But I found out in college that I have limits to how many words I can process.  After a certain amount of talking, my brain starts to resent having to process speech.  I have to go someplace quiet, stop using speech myself, and rest.  This led to at least one kind of hurtful interaction with a college friend, where I had to bundle her rather unceremoniously out of my apartment so I could recover.  I'm not sure she understood, and I had no idea how to explain it to her.

I have yet to learn sign language or some other form of AAC, but if anyone has recommendations, I'm open to learning.  Ideally I'd like to try one that works on an Android tablet.  It's hard to advocate for nonspeaking people when you have such a different experience than they do, and I'd like to do better.

Regardless, I'm excited to see more focus on AAC and getting nonspeaking or low verbal people the ability to communicate their thoughts.  It's a better world with all of us in it, able to share our thoughts and viewpoints.  

No comments:

Post a Comment