Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 9/11/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

Whew... September is busy.  I managed all my preliminary reviews for the government work, but in about a week, I'm going to have to go over those reviews again and rewrite and reconsider them.  In the meantime, I've been asked to read a fiction book and review it... which... you would think wouldn't be so different than what I already do for this blog.

But there's actually a major difference between reviewing a book for factual accuracy and reviewing a book for entertainment purposes.  In a factual book, you evaluate the facts first, and the presentation of the facts second.  In a fiction book, you evaluate the story and the believability of the world and the characters.  The former is more objective, the latter more subjective.  

I feel... a bit out of my depth, to be honest.  I shouldn't; I did the latter kind of work in school on a regular basis.  I guess anything subjective is... subjective.  I like solid, yes-or-no questions better than I like "the main character was highly believable, but personally I think if the world changed in X way, you wouldn't see people in general doing Y."  Or... something.  I don't know, maybe I'm even rustier than I thought.  Maybe I can do research on how one writes a book review on fiction books...  

Happier news:  I had a great breakthrough regarding the histamine issue!  I'll detail it this Friday, so look forward to that.  I'm really excited.  

Also happy news, this happened:

This is fancy ramen.  A friend of mine had some unexpected life complications and ran a bit short on money, so I hired them to make me... well, basically a meal kit of fancy ramen.  They found and prepared a lot of fresh veggies, including turnips, shiitake mushrooms, scallions, and bamboo shoots.  They marinated the soft boiled egg in seasonings.  They even toasted and seasoned bok choy leaves for a crispy topper.  Also, and perhaps most importantly, they made bone broth.  Like, the kind you have to boil for like 48 hours straight with tons of seasonings and spices.  

I've never had bone broth, and didn't really ever think I would, because I'm picky about my animal products, and very few restaurants care about serving humane products.  I provided my friend with humane meaty bones from a local farm, and they added some veggies and other seasonings to make this broth.  The end result was highly delicious, and there's plenty left even after serving myself and my spouse.  

There's so much broth left that I think even after the other ingredients are gone, I'll be able to make broth cubes and throw them into all sorts of recipes.  My mother did this, too.  You pour the broth into an ice cube tray, making frozen cubes of broth.  These store easily and can be thawed out whenever you need some flavor.  Even a single one of these cubes could seriously spice up pretty much any dish.  

Basically, my friend did an amazing job and the results will brighten my meals for a good while.  

No comments:

Post a Comment