Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Legwork and Life, week of 11/28/18

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

Hello from my house, where I have safely returned after the 12+ hour drive from my inlaws' house in Connecticut.  Thanksgiving went really well, to the point where I think it's in the running for "best inlaw visit ever."  The other major contender for that title would be my very first visit, where I was fairly cheerful because I was running on the "new relationship" high.  

I dunno if "cheerful" describes my demeanor this time, but my general attitude reminded me of my brother a decade back, save that perhaps I was a mite more talkative.  I'm not sure if that's a genetic thing or what, because I wasn't trying to replicate his particular combination of polite, thoughtful, and caring.  It's not the first time I've noticed the similarities on my better days, so perhaps this is how I would normally act if I wasn't slightly depressed most days.  

Regardless, I'm very pleased that I handled the transitions between home, Washington DC, and Connecticut so well.  My supplements arriving in time definitely contributed to the success, I'm sure.  The visit did burn through most of my blog buffer, which is somewhat to be expected, but I don't feel like the situation is dire or impossible.  I simply need to make sure to spend a lot of time in the next few weeks rebuilding it, before the December holidays strike.  

The trip back from CT was probably one of the nicest such trips I've ever made. There's only so pleasant a 12+ hour trip can be, but having a second driver to switch off with helps.  Music helps.  This year we actually added a third kind of boredom-reducer, a podcast, to the mix.  It wasn't my usual comedy joke advice podcast that I am still working through (it's been at least half a year, probably more, of me just listening to this one podcast to try to catch up).  

Instead, it was a theatrical Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) game podcast.  Basically, a GM runs a D&D campaign, records it, and then adds sound effects and music and such to make the game more immersive and entertaining to listen to.  Since my spouse and I both have a background in D&D, it was just fun to hear all the creative ideas the players and dungeon master came up with.  Since D&D is ultimately a cooperative storytelling experience, it's really cool to see what other people dream up, and it can inspire ideas of your own.  

I'm still pretty done with personally playing D&D, but I don't mind hearing about others' fun experiences, and this is kind of an exaggerated version of that.  It's also something my spouse and I can do together, which he values very much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment