Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Legwork and Life, week of 9/12/18

"Bumbling along" might be the best way to describe this last week.  I've been in kind of a poor mood since last Thursday, and I can't point to what's causing it.  It also continues, unabated, so that's fun.

Chris and I went and did Pokemon GO-related events downtown on the weekend, which involved the social awkwardness of speaking to strangers you've never met and may never see again.  It's not as bad as it could be, because you at least have the game in common, but different people play the game in different ways, for different reasons.  Anyway, we attended both events and were reasonably successful at them, so that was good.  I did manage to lose my temper with the game at least once, though, which kind of detracted from the experience overall.  (The game crashes, a lot, and if it does so during a time-sensitive thing, it's very frustrating.  Especially if it just keeps doing it.)

On the health front, I'm signed up for another year of chiropractic care... but only for once a month this time.  I was getting frustrated with going every two weeks, right in the middle of my afternoon, while I wanted to be working on this blog.  I don't particularly deny that it's doing good things for me.  Or at least it's really handy to be able to show up and be like, "yeah, my neck really hurts, help?" and have that sorted out in less than 24 hours.  But the toll on my bank account can't be ignored, either, so I've pared down how much I'll visit, and we'll see how that goes.  If I keep hurting my neck, or my tension headaches start up again, I'll see about finding the money in the budget for it.  Otherwise, I'll still have some of the benefits without nearly as heavy a toll on my wallet.

Also changing is my haircut and coloring routine... the student I've been seeing at the school downtown is finally graduating at the end of this month.  On Monday, I went for the last time to get my hair cut and turned blue there.  I'm going to see about showing up on the student's graduation day with a cake and a balloon, because the school does literally nothing to celebrate a graduating student, and I think that's crap.  Maybe you don't need to break out a whole graduation ceremony, but just clocking out for the last time and waving to whoever happens to be there... strikes me as kind of insufficient.  So meh.  I can personally change that for this student, so I will.

After that, I'm going to start seeing the first student I worked with, who now has a job downtown at a salon.  She was positively salivating over what hair dyes she might use to get my hair to a more sapphire shade, rather than the darker blue that I'm currently sporting.  So we'll see, I guess.  I'm not thrilled about still having to drive downtown, but I might, at least, not have to pay for parking.  I hope.

In the meantime, I'm trying, reasonably hard, to make a buffer again.  I currently just have a Monday entry ahead of time, and I guess a flexible Friday entry I've been studiously ignoring each week in favor of making one.  I feel like this shouldn't be so hard, but I guess in my heart I was always that person that waited 'til the day before a school project was due before actually doing it.  Or at least a week before, if it was a big project.  I'm a firm believer in the ability to change your habits, but with all the other things I'm still struggling with, I'm just... not really willing to fight all possible battles in front of me.  I prefer to pick and choose, marshaling my energy and time as effectively as possible.  Smart, or lazy?  Maybe both.  

No comments:

Post a Comment