Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Legwork and Life, week of 5/2/18

I seem to be starting the week well, which is good, because I could really use an easy week or two.   That isn't to say there won't be challenging things this week, but with a low-stress enough start to my week, I might be able to handle them a lot easier than I would've otherwise.

This week contains my spouse's birthday, for starters.  I have a couple things planned, but he's not really one for big celebrations with tons of people.  Unfortunately, to my great and abiding discomfort, the present I got him is late... and neither shipping company wants to claim responsibility, or even possession.  So that's frustrating.  He's a good sport and has said he doesn't mind too much, but in a similar situation I would be kind of annoyed, so... 

Another unusual event this week is that I'm running a sound board for an event that isn't a worship service at church.  And not just running the board... I might well be setting up the microphones and such, too.  I am... rather nervous thinking about it.  I've never actually set up microphones before.  I know how they turn on, and know somewhat how to set up the wireless ones.  But not really how to plug in and set up the microphone stands.  The event is important to me, though, so I'm not going to back out.

Specifically, the event is a panel regarding LGBTQ+ people and the church.  The ruling body of the major Protestant faction in this area, the Christian Reformed Church, has mostly leaned on the side of "ignore them and shun them and maybe they'll go away" rather than overtly telling gay people that they're going to go to hell.  Still, that's very damaging to children, and the friends of those children.  So this panel is a group of five LGBTQ+ teenagers, who will be sharing their experiences in the local church, and at the local Christian college.

People who've read this blog for a long time will already know I have Opinions about the subject of gay rights and how we tend to treat people.  I don't particularly expect to be all that happy after this event, but it's best to understand the current situation of things from people who live it.  Which I suppose I don't need to tell you, since you're reading this blog, presumably to understand autism and related issues. 

Lastly, related to the Legwork portion of this blog... I had an idea for solving my "what should I read and review next?" problem.  There are a couple publishing companies I'm aware of that publish books specifically related to autism.  And from what my author friends tell me, reviews are really hard to come by.  So, I might offer those publishing companies a deal: they send me copies of books, and I'll review them and post a bit of the review on Amazon.  I try to give every book I choose to review a fair chance, even if it's not terribly useful to someone like me.  So it could work out really well.  I might never again need to worry about where I'm going to find a book to review.

But first, I need to clean up my blog a bit.  My book reviews need to be tagged as such, and possibly given other tags, such as "for parents" or "for autistic people" or "for teachers."  I have about 400 blog entries, so this is a somewhat daunting task.  But hopefully I'll be able to work up the energy to tackle the job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment