Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Legwork and Life, week of 3/28/18

Hooray, I finally got to have a quiet week after all the insanity of moving!  Well, mostly quiet week.  It wasn't event-free, which would be the ideal quiet week, but it was close.

There was a pretty awesome, low key birthday party that I got to go to with Chris (my spouse).  A friend of mine basically said, "hey, I'm having a party at Place, at Time," lemme know if you're coming.  It was a bit last minute, but fortunately my calendar was clear, so we went and ate sushi, and then hung out afterwards and watched anime.  The food was good, the anime was funny, and the company was excellent, so it was a good outing.

It does make me realize I'm getting to be officially middle aged, though.  That particular group of friends tends to still do the "stay up 'til 2am because Fun Things and Good Company" thing, which I apparently don't have the stamina for any more.  Between various morning events and my internal clock screaming "it's past midnight WTF are you doing go to bed!!" I have a hard time managing that type of thing these days.  I do still like to stay up late sometimes to finish something important, or if I have a train of thought I really don't think will survive a rest period.  But beyond that, yeah.

Meh.  I guess it's not awful.  I'll get more and better sleep that way.  I just feel bad being that guy, the one that goes, "well we're sure having a great time here, but I'm old and have a schedule I can't bend for the sake of Fun, so byyyyyye!"  Sometimes one person saying that is enough to break up the Fun, and that sucks for everyone else who was having fun.

I do have a nice view on waking up, though, which I think I've posted pictures of at least twice.  I'm finding that a pond is apparently a convenient way to keep track of the weather, in addition to being nice to look at.  Pond frozen?  It's really cold outside.  Pond water blowing in a direction?  That's the direction of the wind.  Pond surface seems agitated?  Must be raining.

And beyond that, I dunno.  Something about seeing a body of water is apparently soothing to me.  I'm not really sure why.  It's not like it has the sound of flowing or dripping water to give that effect, or a waterfall, or even a stream or something.  It's literally just a muddy-looking, oversized puddle with some ducks and some geese.  So yeah, I have no idea.  But yay, I guess. 

Speaking of yay, yesterday I got my hair recolor and cut. I'd let it go for about 8 weeks, and while the color is still more or less fine, the fact that my hair has grown at least an inch and half is not.  I felt quite shaggy, and hair was getting in my eyes again.  It was extremely annoying.  Then a coupon came in my text messages for 20% off coloring services... and that pretty much settled that.  So now my hair is all dark and extra-awesome looking again.

It did take about another 5 hours, unfortunately.  This happened last time, and it's probably in part because I like talking to the person that does my hair, and partially because she's still a relatively new student and hasn't had a lot of experience with doing this kind of color treatment.  I'm hoping, after she graduates, to simply drive down to where she lives and continue having the same treatment done.  Not because I suddenly hate the school or anything... it's just a noisy, busy, mildly autistic-unfriendly environment... and spending 5 hours at a time there is kind of not really my idea of fun.  Or relaxation.  A home setting would be much nicer for my sanity, even if I have to drive an hour each way.

In other news, I've been trying to be more deliberate and goal-oriented about what I do in a day.  So each evening, I sit down with my calendar and my to-do list and decide on three things I'd like to do the next day.  Mostly these are pieces of larger projects, such as putting away a particular pile of stuff in the house, or doing a piece of work for the blog.  Supposedly, putting together your to-do list the night before helps you sleep better.  I can't decide if I've personally found that to be true yet, but it's nice to wake up in the morning and not have to worry and wonder what I should do with the day.

I've mostly not had to struggle with completing these goals, as they've been quite reasonable and I've mostly been responsible about my time, but we'll see if that lasts as distractions pop up.  Anyway, it's been helpful thus far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment