Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 12/6/17

Agh, it's December already.   I was told that I should try to enjoy November, since now I have to panic and flail about presents again... but I don't think I succeeded.  I think November just kind of bulled its way by, one deadline at a time, until it was gone.  Which is maybe a good way of summarizing life for me overall right now.

I mentioned last week that I got a new doctor and got some blood tests done.  Those came back early this week.  Despite the vitamin D supplements I'm taking, I still scored as slightly vitamin D deficient.  This is very impressive, because the vitamin D supplement I'm taking provides 1250% of your daily required vitamin D.  And also 688% of your vitamin K, for good measure, I guess.

I'm not really sure what to say to that, other than, "Daaaaaang..."  I can guess what my LENS-doctor will say, which is to start taking two of those capsules per day rather than one.  But I'm going to hold off until I get proper directions, I think.

The other worrisome thing is that my blood glucose levels were getting near pre-diabetic levels.  I looked up the health ramifications for pre-diabetes, and they're basically about what you'd expect.  "Exercise your butt off, stop eating so much sugar (you moron), and start eating healthier, or you're going to get diabetes."   I am... hopeful that my current lifestyle changes will head off any occurrences of diabetes, as I'm now exercising for over an hour, two days a week, and half an hour for an additional day. 

I'd also mentioned last week that I was hoping to get a little booklet to track my muscle group weights for exercising.  Turns out five of those things is like $3, so I got a pack and have set it up for future use.  I can now illustrate how ridiculous my muscle groups are.  My legs, for just plain lifting, can easily handle in excess of 300 pounds.  My abs, using the ab machine, managed 110 pounds last visit.  And my back handled 200 pounds with no apparent complaints.  My arms, on the other hand, found 70 pounds challenging on the pulldown bar, and a mere 40 pounds difficult on the pushup machine.  At this very moment, I am incapable of doing a single standard pushup.

I'll track these weights as I continue using the workout facilities at my parents' retirement home, and perhaps eventually my arms will stop being about as strong as a wet noodle.  But I doubt it.  Genetics gave me this incredible imbalance of muscle strengths, I kind of doubt it's going to politely change its mind if I ask nicely.  (I say it's genetics because my father and my brother both have this exact same imbalance of muscle strengths.  They had it worse in gym class, though, because boys are supposed to be strong in the arms.)

The last thing for this week is that the materials for the government contract are finally up.  I've been doing a lot of nothing other than flailing and panicking, because I forgot to take my supplements two days in a row.  Not my best moment.  But hopefully I can get started on this job soon.  It sounds like there's less than 15 things for me to look over and write critiques of, which is awesome because I was expecting 22 or so.  Regardless, I have to get started soon.  Maybe after I finish reading this webcomic... 

No comments:

Post a Comment